Calendar

Sunday 25 August 2013

Finding the Gap in the Next Dune

When I was at Balgo I used to visit Kiwirrkurra, a community 500km to the south of Balgo. I did not go there often.  The track, if it could be called that, changed every year, and of you were the first through after rain, you had to be extremely careful. Coming over one sand dune, you had to spy the spot at which you needed to cross the next one, and then, while negotiating the way down the dune, work out the best way to get there. If you were not absolutely concentrated on the task, the wrong decision would be taken, and the result would be being bogged, having a tyre staked, or worse still, going the wrong way altogether. 
Believe me; it was worth the effort of concentrating!

I often thought of the track disappearing over the next sand hill as the narrow door. No-one was threatening me or trying to keep me away from the door, but if I missed the signs I would at best make the going very tough, and possibly exclude myself altogether. Travelling on that road, I knew the importance of looking for the subtle signs of the way ahead. I learned not to be fooled by an old track that led nowhere, or into boggy r sandy country. I knew that I needed to aim for the narrow door, the gap in the next dune, and trust that every bit of my God given gifts would get me there.

Reflecting on our Gospel, I am amazed at how many people don’t even try to look for the signs that appear in our lives, the signs of the road ahead. If we are to reach our goal, we have to be able to recognise the signs. If we are not even looking we are sure to go astray. The Gospel does not tell us of a God who wants to exclude us, but Jesus who wants us to be included and is showing us how! 

This weekend we have been holding a Life in the Spirit seminar at the Emo Centre. The purpose of this is to build awareness of our need for Jesus to be real person for us and for that the Holy Spirit to become active in our daily lives. This occurs through daily commitment to prayer and good works with the support of other Catholics. Sunday Mass is not enough. God cannot work if we do not genuinely acknowledge our need for him or give him time.  It is difficult for God to work in our lives if our commitment is restricted to Sunday Mass.

In a few weeks we will vote. The ABC has been advertising an online questionnaire to determine which way we should vote. At first I thought: ‘The ABC is not telling me which way to vote’, but then I thought that it could help. We can cast our ballot mindlessly, or thinking about one particular issue, but the way of the narrow door is to consciously examine the platforms of the candidates. We should examine their stance on issues that affect the vulnerable of our society, the poor and marginalised, asylum seekers and the homeless, and seek support for values that underpin our Christian society such as marriage the family and protection of life at its beginning and end. Sometimes it seems that we are fighting losing battle, but if we know the narrow path, we can move forward with some clarity.


Finding the narrow path is not always easy, and once it is found it is not always a comfortable place. However, the risks of not seeking it out are perilous. Sometimes the gap over the next sand dune is hidden, but with God’s help it can I always be found! 

No comments:

Post a Comment